Friday, February 1, 2013

Feeling Insignificant...And a Snow Day

There are so many times in life where it is easy to feel insignificant.  It really doesn't take a specific setting for this to happen, although - for me - there are some key ingredients:

  • Being alone in a large group
  • Not being listened to or heard
  • Only being seen by what is on the outside
  • Feeling inferior in any way
  • Other ways that are recognizable but hard to explain

Usually, feelings of insignificance come when I am around a group of people with a trait or ability I admire but do not have.  Sometimes, I may have those qualities, but not at what I would consider an admirable level.

Take, for instance, an experience I've had this past week...I recently joined a free online college course at Coursera.  The class is E-Learning and Digital Cultures at the University of Edinburgh.  There are over 40,000 people registered for this course.  We have a designated course website, but we are invited to interact on all social media outlets a course hashtag.  I have been following course interaction on twitter, and I am overwhelmed by the thoughts and sheer volume of tweets that this course is generating.  In the course of a week, I have gone from feeling like I am on the cusp of learning by taking an online course to feeling like I have no fresh ideas...and to feeling insignificant.  The irony of feeling insignificant in this course is that it is designed to help us make connections at a global level and to become as involved as we want to be.  My vulnerabilities are becoming more apparent as I process my reactions to this course.

I am not sure how I will continue to process feeling like a small duck on a big pond, but I do know that I can't let this opportunity pass me by:  I need to not only allow myself to be vulnerable in this class, but I also need to learn how to make learning connections at a global level.  I have nothing to be afraid of or ashamed by in my learning process.  I actually should find courage in how I am letting growth into my life.  

Regardless of how I end up feeling about e-learning and/or digital cultures, I will say this:

I am not insignificant.  And being part of a global community does not mean that my voice is unimportant.  In fact, I would argue that it is even more imperative for me to find my voice in this world.  (I'm not sure why, but I would guess that by empowering myself, I could better help others find their place in this world...just a guess, though.)


On a totally unrelated note...We had a snow day this week.  I didn't know until that day how much I needed a day off - mentally, physically, and emotionally.  I obviously haven't been paying attention to my body, and I need to do a better job with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment